Here are some tips to help you. You will be tempted to NOT follow through. Remember the words of Jesus in Matthew 5: “Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.”
- Pray. Pray that the Lord would sustain you, strengthen you, humble you and cause you to be faithful to Him and the ministry He’s called you to.
- Be prepared. If you still need to save money, make a plan to do so. Have you asked people in your life to participate in the proclamation of the gospel? How many Christians do you know? Do you realize if you asked 100 people and only 20 people gave you a $50 gift to help you, that would be $1000? That would certainly cover your costs. Maybe you should be thinking about next year already…
- Check the weather. Bring the right gear with you! Have a list of what you want to bring with you. Make sure your work is finished so you won’t be worried about that when you’re on the streets. Do you want a phone call from a coworker while you are preaching the gospel? Take care of all those things.
- Do you need a waterproof Bible? (buy one here)
- Work with your loved ones and your church. Make sure you are reminding your wife or other people about this commitment you made and how important it is to Jesus. Serve those around you with gladness, especially those who will bear a greater burden in your absence like your wife or coworkers or church family. Do you have a job at your church which you normally do? Make sure another person is there to fill in while you are away.
- Then go. Follow through. Don’t let Satan keep you from doing what you’ve committed to doing. God desires His Word to be preached and you are a part of that important task.
You are going to be tested. You’ve decided something, you’ve made a commitment, now you need to be a man and follow through with what you’ve decided and committed to. And you can do it, with God’s help. He can sustain you. He can strengthen you. He can deal with every circumstance of your life that may arise which makes this trip inconvenient. Trust Him to do so as you preach His gospel!